The government of Senegal has told hotels to improve security or face closure, after recent terror attacks in the region.
Authorities would have no choice but to close hotels which failed to introduce the measures in the coming days, the interior minister told local media.
Terror attacks on hotels in nearby Mali and Burkina Faso have left more than 50 dead since November.
Senegal is one of the most popular tourist destinations in French-speaking West Africa.
Thirty people were killed in an attack last week by Islamist militants on the luxury Splendid Hotel in Burkina Faso’s capital Ouagadougou.
Armed police have been stationed at major hotels since the deadly attack on a hotel in the Malian capital Bamako in November, the BBC’s Abdourahmane Dia reported from Dakar.
Interior Minister Abdoulaye Daouda Diallo told MPs on Thursday that Senegalese security forces would be stepping up patrols to guard against possible attacks.
Senegal has so far avoided a major attack by Islamist militants.
The country has recently ban use of full face veil in public places based on the suspicion that it could disguise the identity of terrorists and help them carry out catastrophic attacks on civilian population.
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQMI) said it was behind both of the recent attacks in Mali and Burkina Faso.
It is based in the Sahara Desert, moving between Mali, Niger and Algeria.